S.L. Chan PhD, FHKIE, MIStructE
Director, NIDA Technology Co, Ltd.
Chair Professor Emeritus in Computational Structural Engieering,
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, China
Ir Dr. S.L. Chan is the Chair Professor Emeritus in Computational Structural Engineering at Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University. Now, he is the director of Nida Technology Co., Ltd. His research areas covers nonlinear structural analysis with applications to design, steel, composite and glass structures, buckling and stability, flexible barrier system, etc.
SCHOLARLY ACTIVITIES & IMPACTS
- First principal consultant and drafter for the drafting of “Code of Practice for structural uses of steel in buildings 2005” and its updated 2011 version and Glass Design Code 2018 and advisor of seismic code by Buildings Department, Hong Kong SAR Government;
- Honorary Fellow of the Singapore Structural Steel Society for year 2009;
- Chairman of Structural Division of HKIE in 2013-14 and Structural Discipline 2016-2019;
- Member of editorial board of the new Mainland Chinese design code for steel structures GB50017-2017;
- Class I award by Ministry of Education in Mainland China in nonlinear analysis in 2009 ;
- Chief editor of 2 SCI-e international journals and member of editorial boards of 8 others.
- Awardee of the Structural Excellence Award in 2013 for constructed project “Cool Dry & Moist Conservatories” in Singapore by the Joint Structural Division of HKIE and IStructE in UK.
- Recipient of research awards by Geotechnical and Structural Divisions of HKIE in 2016;
- Structural designer with China State Construction and Engineering Limited for the steel roof in MGM consortium Macau of world longest clear span roof archived in Guinness record in 2019.
Y.P. Liu PhD, FHKISC
- 副主编， Advanced Steel Construction (SCI-e)
- FHKISC, 香港钢结构学会
- 学士(力学; 计算机软件)，中山大学，中国广州
SUMMARY OF ACHIEVEMENTS
- More than 100 publications in second-order direct analysis, nonlinear finite element, flexible barrier, etc.;
- Involved in drafting work of Chinese steel design code GB50017-2017 in related to Direct Analysis Method;
- Principal developer of NIDA Professional & Highrise, NAF-Shell and RCD; development of desktop & cloud-based program NIDA-Wind for assessment of wind actions on building structures;
- Involved in the design of many steel structures in Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore, India and Myanmar and seismic evaluation of existing buildings in Hong Kong;
- Representative projects: “Cool Dry & Moist Conservatories” in Singapore (Structural Excellence Award in 2013, HKIE); “MGM Spectacle Roof” in Macau (world longest clear span roof archived in Guinness record in 2019)
RESEARCH AND ENGINEERING SPECIALITIES
Finite element; Nonlinear analysis; Structural stability; Steel and composite structures; Flexible barrier system; Seismic design; Software development.