Second Order Analysis and Design of Steel Structures
The benefits of EC3 global analysis and design integration with BIM
This half day course presents an understanding of the strategy involved with current structural code provisions and presents a comprehensive treatment of the second order analysis and design of sustainable, safe and economic steel structures.
Course participants will be provided with an overview of the provisions of Eurocode 3. An explanation of the various types of structural analysis and conventional design to Eurocode 3 will be covered. Emphasis will then be placed on analysis and design techniques including the treatment of frame and member imperfections, second order PΔ and Pδ effects and the interpretation of analysis results.
Modern software will be demonstrated to deliver Eurocode 3 global ultimate limit state and serviceability limit state analysis and designs for Eurocode reliability requirements.
The following topics will be covered:
- Introduction to structural design with Eurocode 3 global analysis provisions
- Load combinations
- Conventional design of structural steel elements
- Structural analysis techniques
- Eigenvalue analysis & modelling of imperfections
- Second order PΔ & Pδ effects
- Nonlinear analysis & design of steel structures
- Practical worked examples
- Practical design integration with BIM ready software NIDA for direct structural efficiency and element/detail design
- Professor Sui-Lai Chan is Chair Professor in Computational Structural Engineering at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- Leroy Gardner is Professor of Structural Engineering in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Imperial College London.
- Stephen McCrory is a Director and Engineer with NIDA Europe Limited.
Date: Monday 29th of June 2015
Time: 1.30pm to 5.30pm
Venue: School of Planning, Architecture and Civil Engineering, David Keir Building, Queen's University Belfast BT9 5AG
Fee: ₤150.00 Students: ₤50.00
Course materials and tea breaks will be provided.
A certificate of attendance will be awarded to all delegates who complete the course together with a 30 day license for NIDA EC3 global analysis software
Cost Engineers and Quantity Surveyors
Steel Fabricators and Erectors
For information and registration contact
Stephen McCrory/Professor Leroy Gardner
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Skempton Building,
Imperial College London,
South Kensington Campus,